Before your eyes start glazing over, please know that up until this point in my life, enforcing a healthy lifestyle upon myself has failed miserably each and every time I attempt to do so. However, I think that is because I have been going about it all the wrong way. My epiphany occurred after having lived in Spain for almost 6 months. My eating habits are still not the best, however I would like to think they have, well, "matured". Here's why I feel just in saying so: 1) I only cook for one person ~ me ~ portions are easier to control 2) I do not have access to the numerous processed goodies I did in the U.S. 3) Fresh produce & meat markets are in walking distance
Now, there's also the bad habits of which I have also adapted: 1) I crave sweets ~ ALL of the time 2) The pastry shop is within walking distance 3) I really enjoy carbs 4) the Bakery is also within walking distance ~ warm loaves, how can I go wrong?! So far, according to my calculations, the good outweighs the bad ~ Whoot Whoot for me!
I've tried an exercise routine time and time again, but it always ends with me feeling discouraged and giving up. Most of the time it's because I do not start the routines with good intentions. Also, because I always felt exhausted afterwards...although I don't see that changing anytime in the near future...
I start it out of spite of someone else working out and not wanting them to be smaller than me or out of jealous of someone who is working out and getting great results. Not the best way to go about gathering inspiration, I know. I have finally dug deep and decided to start anew. This time I'm going about it a little differently. I'm going to be selfish. I'm making it all about me and not about caring about other people. I'm doing this for me. It's taken me a while since moving here to come to this conclusion, however recent discussions in the media about negative body image have really helped me come to a good place about my own body image. Girls here who are half my size think they are fat. I pity them. I don't know who made them feel less of themselves, but that person or those people should be ashamed.
I've decided to take a stroll on a the path I've traveled least on thus far in my life. Feeling good about myself and my body. There are definitely some things about my body that I wouldn't mind changing, but if I never do, I am completely content with that outcome as well. My only wish is that in the final outcome I am healthy. I don't care if that means I have some extra junk in my trunk, chub here and there or if I'm thin as a rail. I just want to be healthy. It's so unfortunate that body shaming has become a norm in today's media. People need to take a step back and realize that just because someone's body doesn't fit your expectations, it doesn't mean that they are any less handsome, beautiful, or most importantly, HEALTHY human beings. I myself am guilty of thinking my own body should be or look a certain way to be beautiful. However, I have finally come to the terms with the fact that the way my body looks does not measure my beauty and that it exudes from the inside. If I change anything on my body, it's not because I don't think that I am good enough as I am, but because I want to be my best self. I want others to see me how I see myself, and that is as a beautiful woman.
Off to the less heated part of my post. My new fitness routine ~ Couch to 5K! Many people do this and I have even attempted it before, but now there is an app that you can download on your phone that helps to keep you motivated. I'm just as excited after Day 2 as I was the day before Day 1. It is a paid app if you want the full 8 week program, however the first week and Day 1 of week two are free. I really enjoy it. It's like my own personal trainer and gives me words of encouragement every now and then.
Today was my second day and I have to say, I think that this will truly work! I'm highly optimistic but I have a reason to be. I felt my endurance was elevated and was shocked when I realized the workout was over! I can't wait to see what's in store for the weeks to come.
XoXo,
Hasta Luego!
Amanda Lorraine Wiltgen


No comments:
Post a Comment